UK Expansion Worker

The UK Expansion Worker route is for overseas workers who are undertaking temporary work assignments in the UK, where the worker is a senior manager or specialist employee and is being assigned to the UK to undertake work related to a business’s expansion to the UK. This visa route takes the place of the Representative of an Overseas Business, and it can only be utilised if the company hasn’t started operations in the UK. Workers should apply through the Senior or Specialist Worker route if the company already has a presence in the UK.

Eligibility requirements:

This is a points based application. You must score 60 points in total.

Sponsorship-20 points
Job at an appropriate skill level-20 points Salary at required level-20 points

  • The candidate must have a valid Certificate of Sponsorship for the position they’re applying for, which must be given by a company that has been approved by the UK Home Office to sponsor a UK Expansion Worker.

  • Unless they’ll be working in the UK as a high earner or a Japanese national seeking to establish a UK branch or subsidiary under the UK-Japan Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement, he or she should be currently working for the sponsor group and have worked for that group outside the UK for at least 12 months.

  • They must be sponsored for suitable employment with a wage of at least £42,400 per year or the ‘going rate’ for that position, whichever is greater, at or above a relevant minimum skill level.

    How long you can stay:

    Maximum time you can stay in the UK on a UK Expansion Worker visa is 2 years.

    Switching to Expansion Worker

You might be able to apply to change (‘switch’) to a UK Expansion Worker visa if you’re already in the UK on a different type of visa.
You cannot apply to switch to this visa if you’re currently in the UK:

  • on a visit visa

  • on a short-term student visa

  • on a Parent of a Child Student visa

  • on a seasonal worker visa

  • on a domestic worker in a private household visa

  • On immigration bail

  • because you were given permission to stay outside the immigration rules, for

    example on compassionate grounds

    Family members eligible to join

    Expansion Worker can bring their dependents which include the spouse, unmarried partner and children under the age of 18.

    Further information, help, and advice

    Our team of specialists has years of experience in visa services. We are registered with the OISC at Level 3 to provide Immigration advice and services.

    For more information and advice on UK immigration law and UK visa applications please contact us on 0203 488 2308 or at

Get in touch with us

Looking for the Best Visa Consulting?