Senior Or Specialist Worker

The Senior or Specialist Worker route is for overseas workers who are undertaking temporary work assignments in the UK, where the worker is a senior manager or specialist employee and is being assigned to a UK business linked to their employer overseas. This type of assignment is often called an intra-company transfer or ICT. It is not a route to settlement.

Eligibility requirements:

This is a points based application. You must score 60 points in total. Sponsorship-20 points
Job at an appropriate skill level-20 points
Salary at required level-20 points

Unless you will be working in the UK as a high earner at a gross income of £73,900 per year or more, you must be working for the sponsor group and have worked for that group outside the UK for a cumulative time of at least 12 months.

You must have a valid Certificate of Sponsorship for the position, provided by an employer who has been authorised by the UK Home Office to sponsor a Senior or Specialist Worker and who has paid the full Immigration Skills Charge. The candidate must be sponsored for approved employment that pays at least £42,400 per year or the ‘going rate’ for that position.

If the applicant is approved, permission will be granted for either 5 years after the start date of the job specified in the Certificate of Sponsorship; 14 days after the end date of this job; or the date at which the applicant will have had cumulative permission on the Global Business Mobility and Intra-Company routes totalling 5 years in any 6-year period, or 9 years in any 10- year period if applying as a high earner — whichever comes first.

How long you can stay

The maximum total stay allowed for a Senior and Specialist Worker visa is:

  • 5 years in any 6 year period if you’re paid less than £73,900 a year

  • 9 years in any 10 year period if you’re paid £73,900 a year or more
    Any time you spend in the UK on one of the following visas will be included in your

    maximum total stay:

  • Intra-company Graduate Trainee visa

  • Intra-company Transfer visa

  • Graduate Trainee visa (Global Business Mobility)

  • Secondment Worker visa (Global Business Mobility)

  • Senior or Specialist Worker visa (Global Business Mobility)

  • Service Supplier visa (Global Business Mobility)

  • UK Expansion Worker visa (Global Business Mobility)

    Switching to Senior or Specialist Worker

    It is possible to switch to Senior or Specialist Worker visa. However, you cannot apply to switch to a Senior or Specialist Worker visa if you’re currently in the UK:

  • on a visit visa

  • on a short-term student visa

  • on a Parent of a Child Student visa

  • on a seasonal worker visa

  • on a domestic worker in a private household visa

  • On immigration bail

  • because you were given permission to stay outside the immigration rules, for example

    on compassionate grounds

    Family members eligible to join

    A Senior or Specialist Worker can bring their dependents which include the spouse, unmarried partner and children under the age of 18.

    Further information, help, and advice

    Our team of specialists has years of experience in visa services. We are registered with the OISC at Level 3 to provide Immigration advice and services.

    For more information and advice on UK immigration law and UK visa applications please contact us on 0203 488 2308 or at

Get in touch with us

Looking for the Best Visa Consulting?