This route is for partner of a person who is a British citizens, is settled in the UK, is in the UK with refugee leave or humanitarian protection or limited leave to remain under Appendix EU or Appendix ECAA, who wish to join, or stay with, their husband or wife in the UK.

Eligibility requirements

You must satisfy the decision maker that

  • Your partner is a British, or settled in the UK, or with refugee leave or humanitarian protection, or with limited leave to remain under Appendix EU or with limited leave to remain under Appendix ECAA;

  • You and your partner are both over the age of 18;

  • You and your partner are not within a prohibited degree of relationship;

  • You and your partner have met in person;

  • You and your partner are legally married in a marriage that is recognised in the UK;

  • Your relationship is genuine and subsisting;

  • You and your partner intend to live together permanently in the UK;

  • Any previous relationship has broken down permanently;

  • You satisfy a financial requirement;

  • There is adequate accommodation for you and any dependents;

  • You speak and understand English to a required level.

    How long you can stay

    This is a route to settlement. You can apply for settlement after completion of probationary period of five years.

    Switching to Partner/Spouse visa

It is possible to switch to partner leave to remain. However you cannot switch if you are in the UK as a:

  • as a visitor

  • with valid leave granted for a period of 6 months or less, unless that leave is as a

    fiancé, fiancée or a proposed civil partner, or was granted pending the outcome of family court or divorce proceedings

    Further information, help, and advice

    Our team of specialists has years of experience in visa services. We are registered with the OISC at Level 3 to provide Immigration advice and services.

    For more information and advice on UK immigration law and UK visa applications please contact us on 0203 488 2308 or at

Get in touch with us

Looking for the Best Visa Consulting?