Hight Potential Individual

The High PotenDal Individual route allows those who have been awarded qualificaDons from an eligible internaDonal university on the approved global universiDes list to come and work in the UK for up to two years.

Those who have successfully completed a PhD or other doctoral-level qualificaDon may stay for up to three years. You cannot extend the visa aker that Dme, but you may be able to switch to a Skilled Worker visa or other eligible UK visas.

A High PotenDal Individual Visa allows you to work in most jobs, be self-employed, and live in the UK with your partner and children, as long as they also meet the eligibility criteria.

You don’t need to have a job offer in order to be eligible for the High PotenDal Individual visa route.

Eligibility requirements

Only individuals who have been awarded qualificaDons from insDtuDons in the eligible global universiDes list are eligible for a High PotenDal Individual visa.

In addiDon, you must have been awarded the qualificaDon in the past five years to be eligible.
Whether or not your university is eligible depends on what month and year you were awarded your qualificaDon. As the global universiDes list is determined by academic ranking lists for that specific year, not all global universiDes may be eligible for all years.

In addiDon to this, the qualificaDon you received must be at the same level as any of the following:
  • a UK bachelor’s degree

  • a UK postgraduate degree

  • a UK PhD or doctoral level qualificaDon

    You must apply to EccDs to verify that your qualificaDon is valid and at the right level. In order to be eligible for the High PotenDal Individual visa route, you must also:

  • Prove your knowledge of English is at least level B1 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) scale. You can do this through:

    o A Secure English Language Test (SELT)
    o Being awarded a degree taught mainly in English
    o AlternaDvely, you are exempt from this requirement if you’re from a

    majority English speaking country

  • Meet the financial requirement to demonstrate that you can support yourself

    financially, unless you’ve been in the UK with a valid visa for at least 12 months

    You can’t apply if:
    § You have already been given a Graduate visa
    § You have already come to the UK as a Student Doctorate Extension Scheme student § You’ve already applied for a High PotenDal Individual visa once before

    How long you can stay

    High PotenDal Individual visa usually lasts for 2 years. If you have a PhD or other doctoral qualificaDon, it will last for 3 years.

    Switching to High PotenBal Individual visa

    It is possible to change (‘switch’) to a High PotenDal Individual (HPI) visa if you’re already in the UK on a different type of visa.

    You cannot apply to switch to this visa if you’re currently in the UK:

  • on a visit visa

  • on a short-term student visa

  • on a Graduate visa

  • on a Parent of a Child Student visa

  • on a seasonal worker visa

  • on a domesDc worker in a private household visa

  • On immigraDon bail

• because you were given permission to stay outside the immigraDon rules, for example on compassionate grounds

Family members eligible to join

Your partner and children under the age of 18 can apply to join you or to stay in the UK as your ‘dependants’.

Further informaBon, help, and advice

Our team of specialists has years of experience in visa services. We are registered with the OISC at Level 3 to provide ImmigraDon advice and services.

For more informaDon and advice on UK immigraDon law and UK visa applicaDons please contact us on 0203 488 2308 or at Info@worldwideimmigraBon.co.uk

Get in touch with us

Looking for the Best Visa Consulting?