Health And Care Worker

The Health and Care Visa is a relaDvely new visa category created for overseas medical professionals who intend to come to the UK to work for the NHS, an NHS supplier or in the adult social care sector. This visa category was created to make it cheaper, quicker and easier for healthcare professionals to come to work in the UK.

The Health and Care visa is part of the skilled worker visa. It allow you to live and work in the UK. The Health and Care Worker Visa is only open to certain medical professionals and people in eligible health and care roles. Health and Care Visa holders pay reduced visa fees and are also not required to pay the ImmigraDon Health Surcharge.

Eligibility requirements

You must saDsfy the decision maker that

  • §  You are a qualified doctor, nurse, health professional or adult social care professional

  • §  You will be working in one of the eligible occupaDons in the health or social care


  • §  You have a job offer from an employer in the UK who has been approved by the

    Home Office

  • §  You have a CerDficate of Sponsorship from your UK employer that provides

    informaDon about the role you have been offered

  • §  You meet the salary requirements – this varies depending on the type of role you will

    be doing

  • §  You can read, write, speak and understand English to at least level B1 on the

    Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) scale, you don’t need to meet this requirement if you are from a majority English speaking country or you have an eligible degree level academic qualificaDon that was taught in English.

    How long you can stay

    The Health and Care Visa is valid for up to 5 years, aker this Dme you can apply to extend your visa if you wish to conDnue working in the UK. Providing that you conDnue to meet the eligibility requirements then you can extend your Health and Care visa as many Dmes as you like.

    When can you apply for Indefinite leave to Remain

    If you want to make the UK your permanent home then you may also be eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain aker residing in the country for at least 5 years on this visa.

    Switching to Health and Care Worker visa

    You can switch to Health and Care Worker visa if you are already in the UK on a different visa. However, you cannot apply to switch to skilled worker visa if you are currently in the


  • on a visit visa

  • on a short-term student visa

  • on a Parent of a Child Student visa

  • on a seasonal worker visa

  • on a domesDc worker in a private household visa

  • On immigraDon bail

  • because you were given permission to stay outside the immigraDon rules, for

    example on compassionate grounds

    Family members eligible to join

A Health and Care Worker can bring their dependents which include the spouse, unmarried partner and children under 18.

Further informaBon, help, and advice

Our team of specialists has years of experience in visa services. We are registered with the OISC at Level 3 to provide ImmigraDon advice and services.

For more informaDon and advice on UK immigraDon law and UK visa applicaDons please contact us on 0203 488 2308 or at

Get in touch with us

Looking for the Best Visa Consulting?