Government Authorised Exchange

The Government Authorised Exchange category is for people coming to the UK through approved schemes. People in this category must aim to share knowledge, experience, best pracDce and to experience the UK’s social and cultural life.

Eligibility requirements

You must saDsfy the decision maker that:

  • You have a valid CerDficate of Sponsorship for the role you are planning to undertake, issued by an overarching body (sponsor) that holds a valid Temporary Work – Government Authorised Exchange sponsor licence;

  • The role you are planning to undertake meets the requirements of an approved Government Authorised Exchange scheme;

  • The role does not fill a vacancy in the UK workforce;

  • The role appears in Table 1 or Table 2 of Appendix Skilled OccupaDons;

  • You have sufficient personal savings to support yourself in the UK;

  • Your applicaDon does not fall for refusal under the general grounds for refusal;

  • You have provided a valid TB cerDficate, if required.

How long you can stay

You can stay in the UK for up to 12 or 24 months (depending on the scheme you’re applying for) or the Dme given on your cerDficate of sponsorship plus 14 days, whichever is shorter.

Switching to Government Authorised Exchange Visa

It is generally not possible to switch into the Government Authorised Exchange route from within the UK.

An excepDon is made for applicants who have, or were last granted, permission as a Student and who are, or were last sponsored by, either a higher educaDon provider with a track record of compliance or an overseas higher educaDon insDtuDon, to do a short-term study abroad programme in the UK. Such applicants can extend their stay in the Government Authorised Exchange route if they have completed a UK recognised bachelor’s or postgraduate degree during their last period of permission and if they are currently sponsored for either a period of postgraduate professional training or work experience which is required to gain a professional qualificaDon or registraDon in the same field as their degree or an internship for up to 12 months which is directly related to their degree. Applicants must not be filling a permanent vacancy and their sponsor must not intend to employ them in the UK once the training or work experience has been completed.

Family members eligible to join

Individuals on the Government Authorised Exchange route can be joined by a dependent partner and children under the age of 18.

Further informaBon, help, and advice

Our team of specialists has years of experience in visa services. We are registered with the OISC at Level 3 to provide ImmigraDon advice and services.

For more informaDon and advice on UK immigraDon law and UK visa applicaDons please contact us on 0203 488 2308 or at

Get in touch with us

Looking for the Best Visa Consulting?