Government Authorised Exchange Worker

Government Authorised Exchange Worker

Government Authorised Exchange

This category is for people coming to the UK to do various work experience, training, and research activities through approved schemes that aim to share knowledge, experience and best practice.

This category must not be used to fill job vacancies or to bring unskilled labour to the UK. However, people in the UK on this visa may work in a second job for up to 20 hours per week. Work experience placements for this visa must be equivalent to NVQ or SVQ level 3 or above. These qualifications impart functional skills in a variety of vocations, roles which rely on NVQ/SVQ level 3 qualifications include: electricians, carpenters, teaching assistants, tree surgeons, and many other skilled jobs and trades.

In order to apply under this category, you must have a valid Tier 5 certificate of sponsorship from a licensed Tier 5 sponsor organisation.

Length of stay

Usually until one month after the period of work stated on your certificate of sponsorship. This visa can be extended to 1 year for those doing work experience, and 2 years for those doing research, training, or studying on an Overseas Government Language Program.


Tier 5 Government Authorised Exchange visa applicants must have funds of at least £945, unless their Tier 5 sponsor can guarantee their maintenance with the UK Home Office. Only ‘A rated’ sponsors have this option.

Further information, help, and advice

Our team of specialists have years of experience in visa services. We work with clients under Section 84 of the 1999 Immigration Act and can submit your UK visa application to the Home Office to be dealt with on the same day.

For more information and advice on UK immigration law and UK visa applications please contact us on 0203 488 2308 or email us at

Get in touch with us

Looking for the Best Visa Consulting?