• United Kingdom

    Helpline No.

    (+44) 0203 4882 308

Visitor Visa

The UK Visitor Visa allows a person from outside the European Economic Area or Switzerland, to visit the UK for up to six months.

The Standard Visitor visa has replaced the:

  • Family Visitor visa
  • General Visitor visa
  • Child Visitor visa
  • Business Visitor visa, including visas for academics, doctors and dentists
  • Sports Visitor visa
  • Entertainer Visitor visa
  • Prospective Entrepreneur visa
  • Private Medical Treatment Visitor visa
  • Approved Destination Status (ADS) visa

To visit the United Kingdom, a person requires permission to do so.

Whether a person requires a UK Visitor Visa will depend on whether the person is regarded as a visa national or not.

The UK visitor visa allows a person to do a range of things:

  • To take a holiday in the UK.
  • Visit family or friends.
  • For business reasons.
  • To take part in sports or creative events.
  • Receive private medical treatment.
  • Study for up to 30 days, provided this is not the main reason for your visit.
  • If you are under 18 years, you may take part in an exchange programme or educational visit.
  • You can convert your civil partnership into a marriage.

Activities Not Allowed on A UK Visitor Visa

  • You are not allowed to do paid or unpaid work.
  • You cannot through frequent visits to the UK basically live in the UK.
  • There is no access to UK Public funds.
  • One cannot marry, register a civil partnership or give notice of marriage or a civil partnership. You can only do this if you have applied for the Marriage Visitor Visa. Please speak to one of our consultants for more information.

Doing Business in The UK On A UK Visitor Visa

Applicants are often unsure whether they can do business in the UK on the UK Visitor Visa. There is, however, a range of business activities that are allowed.

  • Taking part in a specific sports-related event.
  • Performing as an artist, entertainer or musician.
  • Academics who are doing research or accompanying students on a study abroad programme.
  • Doctor or dentist who are taking a clinical attachment or observer post.
  • To take the Professional Linguistic Assessment Board (PLAB) test or to sit the Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE).
  • To get funds to start, take over, join or run a business in the UK.

Length of Stay on The UK Visitor Visa

You can stay in the UK for up to six months. You can also apply to extend your UK Visitor Visa, as long as the total time you spend in the UK is not more than 6 months.

It is also possible to apply for long-term visit visas if you travel to the UK regularly. These visas are valid for 2, 5 or 10 years. However, note that you are only allowed to stay a maximum of 6 months during any given year. If you are going to the UK for private medical treatment, you might be able to extend your stay for up to eleven months.

Further information, help, and advice

Our team of specialists have years of experience in visa services. We work with clients under Section 84 of the 1999 Immigration Act and can submit your UK visa application to the Home Office to be dealt with on the same day.

For more information and advice on UK immigration law and UK visa applications please contact us on 0203 488 2308 or email us at

WorldWide Immigration
WorldWide Immigration