• United Kingdom

    Helpline No.

    (+44) 0203 4882 308

Spouse Visa/Civil Partnership Visa/Unmarried Partners Visa/Same Sex Visa

The family of a settled person visa allows people from outside of the EEA to join a family member in the UK, who is a British citizen, has indefinite leave to remain in the UK, or is in the UK under asylum or humanitarian protection laws

UK Visa Length of stay

The Family of a Settled Person Visa is usually issued for the following periods:

  • Two and half years for spouses, civil partners, or unmarried partners which can then be extended.
  • 6 months for fiancés, to be extended after marriage in the UK.
  • Two and half years for parents which can then be extended.
  • Indefinitely for dependent children

For most of these UK visa categories you do not gain indefinite leave to remain immediately. In most cases you should be able to obtain a visa extension, and then after 5 years in the UK visa holders can apply for Indefinite Leave to remain (permanent residence).

If you wish to join a family member in the UK who has refugee status, 5 years' humanitarian protection or settlement on protection grounds the requirements are different.

Family member visa conditions

The family member who is applying to join the UK permanent resident or citizen must be related in one of the following ways:

  • Spouse, fiancé, civil partner or unmarried partner
  • Parent
  • Child
  • Carer, if you are joining them to be cared for as a dependent adult relative

Unmarried partners must be able to prove that they have been in a cohabiting relationship for at least 2 years.

The family member in the UK must also have one of the following:

  • British citizenship
  • Indefinite Leave to Remain (permanent residence) in the UK
  • Refugee, asylum or humanitarian protection status in the UK

Eligibility conditions

In order to be eligible for a Family of a Settled Person visa, you must:

  • Be older than 18, unless you are a child coming to join your parent
  • Plan to live with your family member in the UK, unless you are a parent applying to join a child in the UK who lives with someone else
  • Prove that you and your family will have an adequate home in the UK
  • Speak good English (unless you are a child). This means scoring level A1 on a Common European Framework of Reference for Languages test, or having a university level degree that was taught in English*

*Citizens of countries listed below do not have to prove their English language ability:

Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, the Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, New Zealand, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, the USA.

Financial requirement

If you are applying to join your Spouse, fiancé, civil partner or unmarried partner in the UK they must have a certain level of income or savings to support you and any children.

The financial requirement can be met by income from a legal source, such as earnings, rental income, or maternity/paternity pay, as well as savings. Any savings must have been held for 6 months or more.

 Number of family members on the application  Financial requirement (per year)
 Partner only  £18,600.00
 Partner and one dependent child  £22,400.00
 Each additional dependent child  £2,400.00

Further information, help, and advice

Our team of specialists have years of experience in visa services. We work with clients under Section 84 of the 1999 Immigration Act and can submit your UK visa application to the Home Office to be dealt with on the same day.

For more information and advice on UK immigration law and UK visa applications please contact us on 0203 488 2308 or email us at

WorldWide Immigration
WorldWide Immigration