• United Kingdom

    Helpline No.

    (+44) 0203 4882 308

Permanent Residence Card

You can currently apply for a permanent residence card if you’ve lived in the UK for 5 years.

However, you do not need a permanent residence card to confirm your residence status in the UK unless:

  • You’re an extended family member of someone from the European Economic Area or Switzerland and are yourself not an EEA or Swiss national
  • You want to apply for British citizenship
  • You want to sponsor your partner’s visa application under the Immigration Rules
Your residence card will not be valid after 31 December 2020. You and your family can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme if you want to continue living in the UK.


You’re eligible if both of the following apply:

  • You’ve lived with your EEA family member in the UK for a continuous 5 year period
  • Your EEA family member has been a ‘qualified person’ throughout the 5 years or has a permanent right of residence

You can also get permanent residence if you’ve lived in the UK for a continuous period of 5 years:

  • As the extended family member of an EEA national and you’ve held a valid EEA family permit and a residence card throughout
  • First as the family member of an EEA national and then with a retained right of residence
  • As the family member of a British citizen, if you entered the UK under the EU law after living in another EEA country (‘Surinder Singh’ route)

You can get permanent residence before 5 years if either:

  • You were living with your EEA national family member, who was working or self-employed in the UK, immediately before their death
  • Your EEA national family member was working or self-employed in the UK but has ‘ceased activity’ (stopped work or self-employment because of retirement or permanent incapacity, or because they’re now working or self-employed in another EEA state but are still resident and return to the UK at least once a week)

Further information, help, and advice

Our team of specialists have years of experience in visa services. We work with clients under Section 84 of the 1999 Immigration Act and can submit your UK visa application to the Home Office to be dealt with on the same day.

For more information and advice on UK immigration law and UK visa applications please contact us on 0203 488 2308 or email us at

WorldWide Immigration
WorldWide Immigration