• United Kingdom

    Helpline No.

    (+44) 0203 4882 308

Marriage Visitor Visa / Civil Partnership Visit Visa

You must apply for a Marriage Visitor visa if:

  • You want to get married or register a civil partnership in the UK.
  • You want to give notice of a marriage or civil partnership in UK.
  • You’re not planning to stay or settle in the UK after your marriage or civil partnership.
  • You meet the other eligibility requirements.

You do not need a Marriage Visitor visa to convert your civil partnership into a marriage - you can apply for a Standard Visitor visa.

How long you can stay

You can use this visa to visit the UK for up to 6 months.

What you can and cannot do

You can:

  • Marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within 6 months of your arrival - you must use a venue licensed for this purpose.
  • Pass through the UK in transit (on your way to another country).

You cannot:

  • Get public funds.
  • Bring in family members (‘dependants’) - they must apply separately.
  • Live in the UK for extended periods through frequent visits.
  • Extend your visa or switch to another visa.
  • Work - except for permitted activities related to your work or business overseas, such as attending meetings.
  • Study for more than 30 days - studying cannot be the main reason for your visit.


You must prove that you’re:

  • 18 or over.
  • Free to give notice of marriage, to marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within 6 months of your arrival.
  • In a genuine relationship.
  • Visiting the UK for less than 6 months.
  • Leaving the UK at the end of your visit.
  • Able to support yourself without working or help from public funds, or that you can be supported and housed by relatives or friends.
  • Able to meet the cost of the return or onward journey.

Further information, help, and advice

Our team of specialists have years of experience in visa services. We work with clients under Section 84 of the 1999 Immigration Act and can submit your UK visa application to the Home Office to be dealt with on the same day.

For more information and advice on UK immigration law and UK visa applications please contact us on 0203 488 2308 or email us at

WorldWide Immigration
WorldWide Immigration