• United Kingdom

    Helpline No.

    (+44) 0203 4882 308

Managing Sponsorship

The Sponsorship Management System (SMS) is an online function which allows Sponsor Licence holders to do several things.

The first of these is that it allows them to keep up-to-date records of all their migrant employees. This is important, as the Home Office will often perform unexpected audits of your HR practices, even after your Sponsor Licence has been issued.

You will also need to use the Sponsor Management System to apply for and assign all Certificates of Sponsorship (CoS). These are issued to prospective overseas employees, once you have made them a job offer. Without a CoS, your employee cannot apply for a work visa. This means that they will be unable to enter the UK to take on a position at your company.

Allocation of Certificates of Sponsorship (CoS)

Once you have been granted a sponsor licence you will be able to assign certificates of sponsorship (CoS) to migrants who wish to come to or stay in the UK to work. The Home Office, UKVI will decide how many certificates of sponsorship (CoS) you will be allowed to assign under sponsorship licence.

For migrants, being assigned a certificate of sponsorship (CoS) is an essential part of qualifying for entry clearance (if they are outside the UK) or leave to remain (permission to extend their stay while in the UK). But there are also other requirements set out in the immigration rules that they must meet. They must score enough points and are likely to be refused if there is anything in their personal or immigration history that suggests that their presence in the UK is not desirable.

Duties as A Tier 2 Licenced Sponsor

As a Tier 2 licensed sponsor you must comply with certain duties, including, but not restricted to, a duty to inform the Home Office, UKVI if the Tier 2 Migrant does not turn up for work, or if he is absent without permission for a significant period. You must also keep proper records of the migrants you sponsor, including contact details and a copy of their biometric residence permit (BRP), and supply any documentation to the Home Office, UKVI on request.

The Home Office, UKVI will monitor your behaviour and compliance with your duties once you have been granted sponsor licence. The Home Office, UKVI will:

  • Set a limit on the number of certificates of sponsorship (CoS) you can assign as a sponsor, and review your performance after you have assigned a certain number;
  • Make visits, pre-arranged or not, to check compliance; and
  • Refer cases for civil penalty action to be taken where the Home Office, UKVI find evidence that you have breached the illegal working regulations.

Further information, help, and advice

Our team of specialists have years of experience in visa services. We work with clients under Section 84 of the 1999 Immigration Act and can submit your UK visa application to the Home Office to be dealt with on the same day.

For more information and advice on UK immigration law and UK visa applications please contact us on 0203 488 2308 or email us at

WorldWide Immigration
WorldWide Immigration